Saturday, June 26, 2010

Why Different People Support Differen...

Why Different People Support Different Teams in the World Cup

On a game of Italy versus Slovakia, I found myself in an awkward position, as a Kenyan it means that our country is not and has never participated in the World Cup, so naturally we support African teams when they are playing. It is a unanimous position except for a few crackpots and unpatriotic guys. When no African team is playing, this is the time that various people advance a myriad of reasons why they support this team and not the other.

Back to my Italy-Slovakia story. In World Cup 06 finals against France, i was for Italy, simply because France were the defending champions.This time round I was not rooting for them but a close friend recently married an Italian, hence i had to help her support her new country. We were watching Italy play Slovakia in a big hall in Nairobi. It turned out we were the only guys supporting Italy in a hall of fifty plus. Why, they are against rich nations. Didn't know there is comradeship in poverty!

Since that match, which Italy lost despite having won a new fan in me, I have developed a keen interest in knowing why different people support different teams in the World Cup. Whenever I watch a game in a public place, I make sure I ask people seated next to me why they are supporting  particular teams (so passionately as football is a game of passion). The answers range from nationality, relationships, politics, and football clubs allegiances.

1. Nationality

Its obvious a Brazilian will wear his panty back to front in an effort to bribe the football gods to favor his team while a Bafana Bafana fan will pass by the local Sangoma. Except in a few unpatriotic cases like ABE ( Anything But England), this is always the norm.

2. Relationships

a) My mother is of Italian descent, so i am supporting Italy...Italy all the way!
b) My sister is dating a German, go Germany go!
c) My brother works for Toyota...hey Japan! do us proud!
d) My last born daughter was born in England and I named her Chelsea. May God help the English to win this match!

3. Politics

a) Damn the colonizers! I wont blow my vuvuzela for you!
b) You cannot have all the money and have all the football glory as well, I am from a poor nation, so i will throw my lot behind my fellow suffering developing nations. This is why South American teams get the loudest vuvuzela cheers from South African fans ( when they are not playing against African teams that is)
c) Italians are bigoted racists!
d) Securing a Visa to the US is harder than convincing the guys manning the gates of heaven to let you in! May the US Team go to hell!
e) These G8 Nations promise aid that never get here!
f) Your president is a despot. We cant let him use football to further his political interests. No way!
g) Race. The French team is the 7th African team. Look at those west africans playing for France. Go les blues go!
h) The English are arrogant hooligans. Look at the sneer in Wayne Rooney's face, phew!

4. Football Clubs allegiances

a) Drogba is too Chelsea for me. I hate Chelsea! Ivorians,ya aint getting nowhere, not by a long shot!
b) Where Messi goes, i go!

4. Others

a) I love Brazilian chicks. Whatever happens in Rio spills over to football!
b) Cristiano Ronaldo is the hottest footballer alive! Come kiss me nooooow! Go Portugal go!
c) I love underdogs. I can't the stand the boisterous English!

Football brings people together in a way that i had never imagined. It shows how people's interests, tastes , likes and dislikes form a global web that makes the World Cup a global phenomenon of immense fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment