Thursday, August 12, 2010

Penury Peeks at Opulence

What all that house for?
Oh hooo!
A man stays in one room at a time
Do you keep ghosts in others?
Farm, kitchen then sleep
That is us
What one does with all that house?
You people!

Look at you again
Why cut the grass?
Wish I had brought our cow along
Don’t you like milk?
Why burn the grass? It’s thatch!
My grandpa will be angry
Aye ye yee!
You people!

And why all the flowers
You even waste water on them?
Why not cabbages and kales
For kitchen and market day?
Wish it belonged to my mother
You people!

And that fountain of water?
How clean!
And getting wasted by the sun
We would fetch it for home
And that swimming pool?
Wish I had brought our goats!
My pa would be happy
Ehe hee heee!
You people!

And those woods
Cut down, hew and cook on them
What are those chimneys for anyway?
And all these walls?
You must have too many enemies
And so many thieves
Oops! My money!
Thank God, it’s in my socks
Walls are houses not fences
Wu wuuu uu!
You people!

And all those lights
For crickets and birds?
Our crickets and birds sing by moonlight!
With those lights I could read all books
My classmates would laugh at you
Oh hoo hoo!
You people!

And all those cars
A man drives one car at a time
Oh, now now…
Our hospital car died
Our chief would beg you for one
Wish he was here
You people!

And why all the silence?
Where are your dogs, cows, cats, ducks,
goats, chickens, sheep, donkeys?
Not even children playing noisily?
This place look haunted!
You people!
Bye bye!
This place is a graveyard
I would rather be dead in our village
Than living amongst the dead living
You people!
Bye bye!
Bye bye!

2 comments: