Monday, December 28, 2009

Spare a Thought for our Military Guys in War Zones

Just finished reading a story on the New York Times entitled Another Peril in War Zones: Sexual Abuse by Fellow G.I.’s by STEVEN LEE MYERS and to say that I am disturbed is to oversimplify what a civilian sitting at home with his girlfriend or wife at his disposal feels of a person of normal libido who is forced, by dint of his military profession, to live a life of sexual deprivation.

Besides hating George Bush for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and following news of the bogged war in the two countries, I have never once stopped to imagine the sexual challenges facing the officers; both male and female, married and single, straight and gay.

While the report points an accusing finger at the Pentagon for doing little to stem the abuse and insensitivity of the Commanders in coming to the rescue of abused women officers, the report has got me thinking.

In the civilian population, I can easily loathe a rapist, stalker or someone who sexually harasses women in general without a second thought. In a secluded military base, thousand of miles away from home and spouse, with attendant psychological complications stemming from the vagaries of war, I can be excused for empathizing with both the culprit and the victim. In such circumstances, I will automatically excuse adultery. Even my wife will find a tolerant hear had she been serving.

The crux of the matter lies with rape. A normal free male will most likely have sex once to thrice a week. If such a man is to serve in Iraq for over six months, the first months will prove sexually challenging.. I have always known that sex is addictive like any drug: alcohol, cocaine, cigarette name them. It is a very compelling psychological need. I can imagine what that man will or will not do to get a fling. I can’t speak for women but the story will most likely be the same.

Imagine if was drafted to the US Army now and dispatched to Iraq the next week. I am so used to sex twice a week. I will obviously be in the list of dishonorable discharges in less than a month courtesy of sex!

I am not trying to justify rape in Military Bases but what if the men and women in uniform could be a little kinder and accommodative to their randy comrades in light of the circumstances they are faced in? A balance will be arrived at where the sexual cravers will get consenting partners. Sex abuses will be unheard of.
I wish I could say that brothels be a part of the Bases but I will surely invite a protest march from moralists if Pentagon effect this as an unofficial/ official policy.

We should be more emphatic to the so-called sex abusers in uniform. Just put yourself in their shoes.

Just a thought or what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment